One of the things I love about Big Universe is its diversity. Readers are bound to find variety due to the sheer number of books offered – more than 3200 volumes of online picture books! However, Big Universe’s broad world view is more than happenstance. Diversity is one of the core principles upon which this educational resource was built.
Inclusion of multi-language fiction and non-fiction, as well as books featuring a variety of cultures around the world make this a rich resource for teachers, students and parents. Picture books are offered in English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak and Ukrainian.
I have compiled a partial list of Spanish text picture books offered on Big Universe for children age 0-8. To find other foreign language books, go to the “Read” landing page and click on the “Foreign Language” tab for a drop-down list of options. Help raise broad-minded world citizens for tomorrow!
- Fútbol (Soccer) – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- Gimnasia (Gymnastics) – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- Porristas (Cheerleading) – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- La Oscuridad (The Dark) – Interest Level: Age 0-5
- Arriba y Debajo (Under and Over) – Interest Level: Age 0-5
- Dentro y Fuera (In and Out) Interest Level: Age 0-8
- La Estampa de Béisbol (The Baseball Card) – Interest Level: Age 3-12
- Tudley No Sabía (Tudley Didn’t Know) – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- Tita y Ben (Tita and Ben) – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- Ronny – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- Qué nervios! (First Day Jitters) – Interest Level: Age 3-8
- Qué es Nuevo en el Zoológico? (What’s New in the Zoo)
- Tortillas – Interest Level: Age 0-8 (Read-aloud)
- Cinco de Mayo – Interest Level: Age 0-8 (Read-aloud)
- Le Cenicienta (Cinderella) – Interest Level: Age 0-8 (Read-aloud)
- El Libro de Pizza (The Pizza Book) – Interest Level: Age 0-8 (Read-aloud)
- La Tortuga y Liebre (The Tortoise and the Hare) – Interest Level: Age 0-8 (Read-aloud)
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” - Nelson Mandela
NOTE: Just in time for summer, Big Universe has compiled some age-leveled book lists, as well as assorted topical book lists that will make SUMMER READING easy to assign. Students can tackle one or more lists to complete, or they can pick and choose various featured Big Universe titles, logging books or reading minutes as they go. Simply go to Big Universe’s “Read” page, find the “Browse or Search for Books” sidebar, and click on the “Summer Reading Lists” tab to get a drop-down list. Themes include: Animals, Chapter Books, Cultures, Humor, Nature, Science and Sports.
UPDATE: (June 11, 2011) Check out the San Francisco Chronicle education article by Jessica Kwong, titled “K-8 Foreign Language Demand Up.”