All About Informational and Explanatory Writing and The Common Core State Standards

Posted by Kristy Beaudry McCain on Feb 26, 2015 5:32:10 PM

INFORMATIONAL AND EXPLANATORY WRITING

amusementparkmath

Students can write informational pieces on many things that are relevant to their lives. Some informational piece examples are:

• Animals and their habitats
  • Wind energy
  • Stars
  • The Rodeo
  • Students choice of topics (something the student has expertise in) swimming, skateboarding, art

informbook inform starsinformrodeoinformskate

Students can write explanatory pieces. Some explanatory piece examples are:

• How to books (How to assemble jewelry, etc.)
  • How things in the yard work
  • How wheels work on big trucks
  • How the digestive system works
  • How the respiratory system works

howtoexplaindigestiveexplainwheelsexplainrespiratory

Sharing Informational and Explanatory Writing With Others

It is important for students to share their work with others. Students may share their written work in a variety of formats. The following lists ideas in which student can make their written work public.

Students can make their work public by placing it in the:

•Reading and Writing Center
•Classroom Newsletter
•School News or School Newspaper

Around the community in the:

• School bulletin boards
  • City Mayor’s office

Students can share their written work with others and the community

•Students can send their informational pieces to the local newspaper (with parent permission)
•Write letters to toy manufacturers
•Students can create online books. Students can share their and original artwork with others. Online books can be created on www.biguniverse.com

Students can share their published books with others on a virtual bookshelf.

Examining Writing Samples

Writing samples for grades K-12 can be found in the Common Core State Standards Appendix

http://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_C.pdf

Other information about CCSS Informational and Explanatory Writing:

freeclipart appleConnecting to The Common Core State Standards

When preparing students for college and career readiness, it is essential to teach students to write informational pieces. The Common Core State Standards prepare students to achieve this writing goal. Starting in the early elementary grades, student read informational texts and learn to write informational pieces. Educators can share well-written information pieces and books with their students. Teachers can teach students to read these texts “with a writer’s eye”. This technique helps students to examine the style of an informational piece. The more familiar students become with informational texts, the easier it is for students to write these types of texts.

For more information about the Common Core State Standards visit http://www.corestandards.org

Text Types and Purposes

Grade K CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.2 Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory texts in which they name what they are writing about and supply some information about the topic.

Grade 1 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.

Grade 2 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.

Grade 3 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.

Grade 4 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.

• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2a Introduce a topic clearly and group related information in paragraphs and sections; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2b Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2c Link ideas within categories of information using words and phrases (e.g., another,for example, also, because).
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2d Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2e Provide a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented.

Grade 5 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.

• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2a Introduce a topic clearly, provide a general observation and focus, and group related information logically; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2b Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2c Link ideas within and across categories of information using words, phrases, and clauses (e.g., in contrast, especially).
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2d Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2e Provide a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented.

Grades 6-8

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2
Write informative/explanatory texts, including the narration of historical events, scientific procedures/ experiments, or technical processes.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.A
Introduce a topic clearly, previewing what is to follow; organize ideas, concepts, and information into broader categories as appropriate to achieving purpose; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., charts, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.B
Develop the topic with relevant, well-chosen facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.C
Use appropriate and varied transitions to create cohesion and clarify the relationships among ideas and concepts.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.D
Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.E
Establish and maintain a formal style and objective tone.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.F
Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation presented.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.3
(See note; not applicable as a separate requirement)

Grades 9 and 10

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2.A
Introduce a topic and organize ideas, concepts, and information to make important connections and distinctions; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., figures, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2.B
Develop the topic with well-chosen, relevant, and sufficient facts, extended definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples appropriate to the audience's knowledge of the topic.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2.C
Use varied transitions and sentence structures to link the major sections of the text, create cohesion, and clarify the relationships among ideas and concepts.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2.D
Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to manage the complexity of the topic and convey a style appropriate to the discipline and context as well as to the expertise of likely readers.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2.E
Establish and maintain a formal style and objective tone while attending to the norms and conventions of the discipline in which they are writing.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.9-10.2.F
Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation presented (e.g., articulating implications or the significance of the topic).

Grades 11 and 12

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.11-12.2
Write informative/explanatory texts, including the narration of historical events, scientific procedures/experiments, or technical processes.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.11-12.2.A
Introduce a topic and organize complex ideas, concepts, and information so that each new element builds on that which precedes it to create a unified whole; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., figures, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.11-12.2.B
Develop the topic thoroughly by selecting the most significant and relevant facts, extended definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples appropriate to the audience's knowledge of the topic.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.11-12.2.C
Use varied transitions and sentence structures to link the major sections of the text, create cohesion, and clarify the relationships among complex ideas and concepts.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.11-12.2.D
Use precise language, domain-specific vocabulary and techniques such as metaphor, simile, and analogy to manage the complexity of the topic; convey a knowledgeable stance in a style that responds to the discipline and context as well as to the expertise of likely readers.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.11-12.2.E
Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation provided (e.g., articulating implications or the significance of the topic).

Topics: Classroom Ideas, Common Core, Big Universe News, Literacy

Big Universe Referral Offer