Posted on October 9, 2010 by Big Universe in Uncategorized.
Title: Paws, Claws, Hands, and Feet
Author: Kimberly Hutmacher
Illustrator: Sherry Rogers
Published: 2009 Sylvan Dell Publishing
Paws, Claws, Hands, and Feet by Kimberly Hutmacher is a rhythmic rhyming book about animals and how they use their appendages. A book like this is especially helpful for exposing children to a variety of verbs that they may not ordinarily use. When asked to describe what feet can do, many of my lower elementary students would say: walk, run, stand, hop, or jump. After reading this book, they discover that feet can also: cling, leap, dash, roam, etc.
Our 2nd and 3rd graders are beginning an animal inquiry. After choosing an animal and researching basic facts about the animal, they will organize their findings and present information to the class. Big Universe’s Book Creator is a great way to showcase their findings. As a bonus, students can create their own rhyming couplets similar to the style seen in Paws, Claws, Hands, and Feet.
- Paws, Claws, Hands and Feet Resources on the Sylvan Dell Publishing website.
- Read.Write. Think. Animal Inquiry Resources
- Read.Write.Think. Animal Inquiry Words Interactive
- ESpecies Animal Fact Sheets Electronic Fact Sheets on over 50 Species
- All About Animals Database